Mary Lou Henry's Recipes of the Month: May
Recipes of the Month
The month of May is “Salad Month! I picked a few tantalizing salads from the Fruit & Vegetable Seminar to feature. These are great school salads that can be customized according to the amount of each fruit or vegetable you choose to use. Also, a food processor can be used in the production of all these recipes.
Rainbow Chopped SaladIngredients:
- bell peppers, chopped (red, green, yellow & orange)
- broccoli florets, chopped
- shredded carrots
- radishes, diced
- 1/2 cup Orange-Oregano Dressing
Place bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, radishes, dressing and onion in a medium bowl. Toss to coat.Refrigerate until ready to serve.
What this dressing lacks in calories and fat it makes up for in big, bold orange flavor and herbal oregano notes.Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
Fruit SalsaIngredients (A food processor can be used to dice all these or other fruits)
- Finely chopped or diced fresh strawberries
- Navel orange, peeled and finely chopped
- Kiwifruit, peeled and finely chopped
- Unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons sugar
In a small bowl, combine the six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Anyone building or renovating schools that involve kitchens, serving areas or dining areas; please contact me at MaryLou@KaTom.com or 865-223-1150; or KaTom direct at (800-541-8683 or 423-586-5839). We would be grateful for the opportunity to provide quotes or respond to bids or RFP’s on any and all items needed.
Mary Lou Henry