It's Vegetarian Day!
Recipe and photo courtesy of http://www. foodnetwork.com
Today is Vegetarian Day…and since it falls on Monday, this is the perfect time to have a Meatless Monday recipe. You can use this holiday to plan out ways to incorporate more healthy vegetables into your diet, reduce the amount of meat you consume, and become healthier. This recipe, courtesy of the food network, is a hearty vegetarian chili that is sure to satisfy even the most dedicated carnivores. Perfect for the fall weather, too, this is an easy crockpot creation that is healthy and delicious.
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans or regular lima beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno (from can or jar)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients but the couscous, shredded cheese, cilantro and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Five to 10 minutes before serving (depending on temperature of slow cooker) add couscous, cover and cook, until couscous is tender. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Just before serving, top each serving with shredded cheese and cilantro.