Commonly Asked Questions About Braising Pans
What is a tilt skillet?
A tilt skillet can be a countertop or floor model, with a large rectangular cooking surface surrounded by tall sides, allowing it to grill burgers on the flat surface or hold gallons of stew. They usually have a spout on the front and a mechanism that helps the skillet tilt forward for dispensing food. The mechanism can be manual or powered, often depending on the capacity of the skillet.
How do I clean a tilt skillet?
Tilt skillets are made of stainless steel for durability and easy cleaning. The cooking surface of the tilting frying pan cannot be removed to be washed in a warewasher, so it must be washed in place. Use hot soapy water to wash the unit. After rinsing, apply a sanitizing agent on the cooking surface.
What tilt skillet accessories do I need?
The tilt skillet accessories that will most benefit you will be dictated by the size of your tilt skillet, as well as what you will be cooking. Some of the options include:
- Equipment stands can be used for countertop braising pan models if you're short on counter space.
- A caster kit makes large braising pans easy to move for cleaning or serving.
- A draw-off valve can be used for removing liquid from the braising pan. These usually come with a strainer to prevent clogs.
- Add a faucet or spray hose to make cleaning and filling simple.
- Adding a pan support can make dispensing food far easier, as it can hold a pan as it is filled.