Tips for Using Your iSi Whipper
With whippers from iSi, it’s easy to wow diners with cutting-edge culinary creations. These whippers are designed to bring haute cuisine to everyday kitchens, simply and elegantly. Available in half pint, pint, and quart sizes, the cold models can be used to create beautiful desserts, while the hot ones can be used for creative, savory foams and espuma. With a few tips, you can make your iSi Whip products an invaluable addition to your kitchen and an unforgettable experience for your guests.
Tips for Operation
Operating an iSi whipper is a simple process, but you need to follow some simple tips closely for the best results:
- Fill the canister with your ingredients. Be sure not to exceed the ‘Max Fill’ line.
- Attach the lid to the canister and thread on the injection or decorator tip
- Insert the charger into the charger holder, and thread it onto the inlet receptacle until you hear the hissing sound of the gas filling the canister. Repeat this step to add a second charger for larger containers.
- Shake the device vigorously 8-10 times
- Remove charger and place the dust cap over the charger receptacle
- With the whipper upside down, make the ‘OK’ signal with your hand and grip the neck of the canister with your thumb and index finger.
- With your pinkie, ring and middle finger operating the trigger, apply your airy concoction to the food, drink, or plate. Be sure to keep the canister vertical as you operate the device
- If the consistency is not as thick as you’d like, shake one or two more times; there is no need to shake the container between applications
Hints for Cleaning and Upkeep
- To avoid warranty-voiding damage, ONLY use iSi chargers.
- When filled but not in use, the whipper can be refrigerated horizontally for several hours. Remember to completely empty, clean, and refill a whipper that has been out of the refrigerator for more than two hours.
- For hot applications, you can keep contents warm by putting the whipper in a bain marie at up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Except for the charger holder and dust cap, the unit is dishwasher safe.
- A long brush is included for cleaning riser tubes (in the XPress), dispensing nozzle, and nozzle adapter.
Which Whipper Works for What?
Cream Profi Whip is ideal for flavored whipped creams and light desserts. Adding custom flavors to whipped cream will enable you to present seasonal favorites, like pumpkin spice lattes and fruity piña coladas.
Gourmet Whip is a multi-functional whipper that can handle both hot and cold applications. It will help you to create light and fluffy foams, espumas, sauces, and infusions. Recipes that once called for mashed potatoes can be lightened by substituting a silky, healthy cauliflower espuma. You can also take a Rueben to a whole new level with an espuma of horseradish.
The Thermo Whip comes in polished stainless steel and can keep products either hot or cold for hours. Your thermal whip will keep hot items warm for hours with its double-walled stainless steel, vacuum insulation. It comes with straight, tulip, and star tips to add a unique look to your creative flavors. The non-slip silicone grip makes it easy to achieve the ‘OK’ finger positioning that works best for the unit.
Also composed of polished stainless steel, the Thermo Xpress Whip has the same capabilities as the Thermo Whip, but it is a high-capacity, countertop unit. Its free-standing design can also be used for self-service applications. It has a riser tube system that uses push-button operation to deliver hot and cold foams, sauces, soups, and creams. The non-slip drip tray and polished steel exterior make the unit attractive and easy to clean.
Chargers and Accessories
- To ensure consistency in your recipes, your whipper should only be charged with iSi chargers. Each holds 8 grams of nitrous oxide that will whip one pint of cream to yield three to four times its original volume, generating up to thirty percent savings over traditional whipped cream cans.
- Another critical component in taking your whipper to the limit is a funnel and sieve set. Pulp, seeds, and kernels can prevent the contents from becoming fully whipped, preventing you from achieving your desired consistency.
- Injector and decorator tips are available for marinades and for creating imaginative plate art. The tips are available in star, tulip, and straight shapes.
- When you’ll be using your whipper for extended periods, consider a heat protection sleeve. The sleeve is made of silicon, and will help keep hands from getting uncomfortable when dealing with hot liquids.