Tofu Parmigiana Tuesday
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 5 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and black pepper.
Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and dry pieces with a paper towel. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides.
Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.