Sunday Pot Roast Dinner
- 1 boneless beef bottom round roast (about 4 lbs.)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed beefconsommé, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Pat roast dry with paper towels. Cut deep slits in surface of roast; insert garlic. Lightly salt and pepper meat. Set aside.
In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add roast to drippings; cook 5 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown. Remove from heat.Place onions and celery in Slow Cooker ceramic pot. Place roast on vegetables; pour drippings over roast. Add bacon, potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. Sprinkle with marjoram and thyme. In medium bowl, combine tomato soup, 1/2 cup consommé, mustard, and vinegar. Pour over mixture in Slow Cooker. Cover and cook at LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until roast and vegetables are tender.Remove roast to cutting board. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to serving bowl. Cover both to keep warm. In small bowl, mix flour and remaining 1/3 cup consommé. Stir into liquid in Slow Cooker. Cover and cook at HIGH about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Slice roast. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.Yield: 10 to 12 servings. If desired, substitute an additional 1/2 lb. carrots for the parsnips.
* Recipe provided by Kitchen Aid.