Southern Style Green Beans Recipe
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed off
- 8 small new potatoes, halved if large
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan or medium Dutch oven (https://www.katom.com/cat/dutch-oven-brazier.1.html), cook bacon over medium heat until it has rendered most of its fat and has begun to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the green beans, potatoes, and enough water to just cover them. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then cover the pan and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered. As the beans get close to being done they will become quite fragile, so take care when stirring.