Southern Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy
Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 2 broiler fryer chickens (3 – 3 ½ lb. each) cut up
- 1 cup shortening
Milk Gravy Ingredients
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 tsp. browning sauce (optional)
- Fresh oregano (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine flour and seasonings.
2. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in flour mixture.
3. Melt shortening in Lodge 12 Chicken Fryer; brown chicken on both sides.
4. Cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
5. Remove chicken from fryer; keep warm. Reserve ¼ cup drippings in fryer for gravy.
6. To make gravy, stir flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings in fryer. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and water; add to fryer. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add browning sauce if desired.
7. Serve gravy with chicken. Garnish with oregano.
Excerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgeway – Quarry Books.
*Recipe provided by Lodge Mfg.