Slow Cooker Chipotle Carnitas
- 2 lb. pork loin or shoulder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil (more for searing meat)
- 1 can chipotle chilis in a adobo sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Rub roast with coarse salt on all sides.
- In a pan of hot oil, sear each side of the roast just until it develops a crispy brown crust.
- Place pork in the slow cooker and spread the rest of the ingredients on top and around the sides.
- Cook on “Low” overnight or until the roast can be pulled apart with a fork.
- If you’re left with a lot of juice in the pot, you can uncover the slow cooker and turn it to “High” to let some of the moisture cook off or accelerate the process in a stockpot on the stove.