Skillet Steak alla Pizziaola
- 4 (6oz) sirloin strip steaks
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak seasoning
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 Red Bliss potatoes (about ½ lbs diced in ½ cubes)
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 can (14oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakesSalt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Season the steaks evenly with Montreal Steak Seasoning, set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large 12 Lodge cast iron skillet. When hot, add the steaks to the pan and brown for 5 minutes per side.
4. Transfer steaks to a plate; add the remaining two tablespoons olive oil to the skillet, and heat. When hot, add the onion, potato, green pepper, mushrooms, chopped artichoke hearts, garlic, and capers; sauté for 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
5. Add the diced tomato, oregano, thyme, and red pepper, and stir to combine, cooking an additional 2 minutes. Place the steaks on top of the tomato mixture and transfer to the middle rack of the hot oven. Bake for 20 minutes, remove, and serve hot.
Excerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgeway – Quarry Books.
*Recipe provided by Lodge Mfg.