Skillet Scallion Biscuits
- 2 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (4.6g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (6g) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (50g) vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (235ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup(50g) chopped fresh scallions, white and green parts
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon (14ml) water for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C or gas mark 5)
2. Combine the flour with the baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
3. Add the shortening and mix on medium speed until a mealy consistency is reached. Mixing on low, gradually add the buttermilk, until just combined. Add the scallions and mix just enough to incorporate.
4. Empty the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead into a rectangular shape. Roll the dough, with a floured rolling pin, to about a ½ thick rectangle.
5. Cut out the rounds using a 2 ½ round biscuit cutter. Drop the biscuits in the bottom of a well-seasoned, lightly oiled 10 Lodge cast-iron skillet.
6. Brush the tops with the egg wash and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are firm. Serve warm.
Excerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgeway – Quarry Books