One-Pot Gumbo Dutch Oven/Cocotte Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen okra (chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (chopped)
- 6 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 raw chicken breasts (chopped, bone and skin removed)
- 2 pounds Andouille sausage (sliced into ¼-inch thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
The first order of business is preparing the roux. Begin by browning the flour in your 7- to 9-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir continuously until the flour is the color of a cashew nut, then remove it from the pot and set aside.
Next, bring 8 cups of water and 4 cups chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, slowly whisk in the roux until fully combined. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, add in onion, okra, peppers, celery, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and Cajun seasoning. Allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Lastly, add chicken and sausage and allow to simmer for an additional 60 minutes.
At this point, taste your gumbo and add any additional Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, or anything you wish to add.