This recipe is courtesy of Jodi Ettenberg at Legal Nomads.
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup tahini paste
- 11⁄2 cups squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 tablespoons salted yogurt (or plain Greek yogurt)
- Salt to taste
- Roast the eggplant for approximately 30 minutes. If a gas stove or grill is unavailable, poke holes in your eggplant, place it on a baking sheet, and roast it in the oven at approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the eggplant rest for about 15 minutes, then rinse it in cold water. Peel the skin away, discarding the skin and stem.
- Place the eggplant flesh in a medium-sized bowl. Add lemon juice, garlic cloves, tahini paste, yogurt, and desired amount of salt. Mash and mix ingredients with a spoon. I chose to run my ingredients through a food processor for a smoother consistency.
- Spread on your serving platter of choice, pair with pita bread, and enjoy. Optional garnishings: a drizzle of olive oil, fresh parsley, or paprika.