Marie’s Three-bean Vegan Chili
By Marie Powell
The biggest point of contention in my family with chili recipes is the tomatoes. Mom loves big chunks of tomatoes throughout the pot while I think the tomatoes should be very finely diced or pureed and thick, more like tomato sauce. However, if I have really flavorful fresh tomatoes, I like to finely dice them and add them to the pot along with the canned variety for a bright, fresh flavor. You can definitely alter that part of the ingredients to your preference, whether you choose chunks, finely diced, sauce, or some combination of them.
The important part is to let this vegan chili simmer slowly on the stove at least 45 minutes to an hour, or combine everything in a crock pot and let it slowly warm for 6 or more hours. The flavors will be fabulous as the tomato, onion, and spices blend together.
Yields: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour stovetop or 6 hours in crockpot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeño pepper, minced, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked or regular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat and cook mushrooms with a pinch of salt until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in jalapeño, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper (to taste). Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. If making in a crockpot: Let ingredients warm on low-medium heat for 6 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve as preferred, over potatoes, rice, or corn chips, with chopped green onion, non-dairy cheese or sour cream, and extra hot sauce if desired.