Michael Recchiuti’s Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cups dark brown cane sugar, packed
- 1 vanilla bean, split horizontally
- 2-1/4 cups whole milk, plus 1/2 cup milk set aside
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 extra-large egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Crème fraîche (for garnish)
- Shaved chocolate (for garnish)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Scrape the vanilla seeds from the bean into the pan and then add the bean. Add the brown sugar and simmer gently just until it dissolves. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup milk, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk this into the saucepan and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk by hand until blended. Whisk about 2 tablespoons of the milk mixture into the yolks to warm them gradually. Let temper for about 30 seconds.
While stirring, gradually add the tempered yolks to the hot mixture until fully combined. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add the vanilla extract and stir until combined.
Pour or spoon the pudding into individual serving cups. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Serve chilled or at room temperature within 24 hours. Garnish with crème fraîche and shaved chocolate.