Grilled Cornflake-Crusted French Toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups crushed cornflake cereal
- 8 slices thin, day-old white sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 very ripe bananas, thinly sliced
1. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and half-and-half. Place the crushed cereal in a shallow dish.
2. In a small bowl combine the fig preserves with the cream cheese, using a fork. Place four slices of the bread on a flat, dry work surface, spreading each with 2 teaspoons of the preserve mixture. Top with a few slices of the banana and then the remaining bread to form a sandwich, pressing to tightly close.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a well seasoned Lodge cast iron griddle over medium heat with butter or oil. Place one sandwich in the batter, coating well. Remove and place in the crushed cereal, pressing to coat each side with crumbs.
4. Place on hot griddle, cooking for 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove, place all on a baking sheet, and bake until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove, slice each in half diagonally, and serve immediately with butter and syrup.
* Excerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgeway – Quarry Books
* Recipe provided by Lodge Mfg.