Gingerbread Cupcakes with Apricot Glaze
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup light molasses
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
Apricot Glaze Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Lightly butter well seasoned Lodge cast iron muffin pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg, molasses, crystallized ginger, sugar, and melted butter until thick. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk. Beat for 1 minute after each additional to combine the ingredients well. Pour the batter into each muffin cup.
3. Top each muffin with a slice of apricot. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Meanwhile prepare the apricot glaze: combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat to low, keeping warm until ready to use.
4. Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool completely before removing. Serve, drizzled with Apricot Glaze and whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Excerpted From Cast Iron Cooking By Dwayne Ridgeway – Quarry Books.
*Recipe provided by Lodge Mfg.