Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (14 oz.) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (11.5 oz) tomato juice
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded, and cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup torn, loosely packed fresh basil leaves
In chopper attachment bowl with blade, place carrot, celery, and onion. Insert chopper adapter into motor body and lock adapter onto bowl. Chop at Speed 3 for 10 seconds, or until finely chopped. Set aside.
In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped vegetable mixture. Cook and stir 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Add broth, tomato juice, and tomatoes. Bring o a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat. Add salt, white pepper, and basil. Insert blending attachment into motor body. Blend at Speed 3 for 10 to 20 seconds, or until basil is chopped and tomatoes are desire consistency. Serve hot or cold.Yield: 6 servings (1 cup per serving).* Dip tomatoes in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds to loosen peels. Cool under running water. Core and remove peel. Cut in half crosswise, and scoop or shake out seeds.
* Recipe provided by Kitchen Aid.