Festive Good Luck Cornbread
- 1 lb. smoked sausage
- 1⁄2 c. chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (141⁄2 oz.) can uncondensed chicken broth
- 10 oz. frozen chopped collard or turnip greens, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1 c. Martha White Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal mix
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3⁄4 c. buttermilk
- 1⁄4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 c. finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Sour cream
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1⁄4-inch slices. Add sausage, onion, and garlic into a 12-inch cast iron pan or ovenproof skillet. Stir occasionally and cook until sausage is browned and onions are tender.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix all topping ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Pour batter around the outside of the filling mixture in the skillet.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown, then add garnish as desired.