Eggplant Salad with Peppers and Onion
By Marie Powell
Yields: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes + overnight drain
Cook Time: 30 minutes
In addition to the terrific blend of flavors in this eggplant salad, I love how colorful it is and often make it for group gatherings and family meals. It holds up well in the fridge for days, so it’s a great choice to make ahead and take as part of my lunch later in the week. It’s quite filling on its own, but pairs well with grilled chicken or roasted pork loin for dinner. So let’s break away from the fried parmesan and enjoy this delicious, healthier roasted eggplant salad that’s certain to hit the repeat cycle in your kitchen.
- 2 medium eggplants, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (to drain the eggplant)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Fresh parsley (half bunch, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup dried tomatoes, chopped
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
For the Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- For the Dressing: Whisk all ingredients in a bowl or shake in a bottle to combine.
- Cut eggplant into 1-inch pieces. Salt and drain overnight using a rack over a pan.
- Rinse the eggplant and toss with half of the dressing.
- Cut peppers and onion into 1-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl and toss with remaining half of the dressing.
- Place all vegetables on parchment lined sheet pans.
- Roast at 375 F until tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool vegetables. Then, combine with parsley and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.