Classic Lasagna: A Family Favorite
- 1 pound ground turkey or beed
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage (or sausage removed from casing)
- 3 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1 hour. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-inch by 19-inch baking dish. Layer three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. At this point, your dish should be full.
Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Yields: 12 servings
From Taste of Home