Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Cooking spray
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 c. cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- 1/2 c. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
To prepare souvlaki, combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag, seal, and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken and zucchini, alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 garlic clove, stirring well. Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.
Yield: 2 servings
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light, March 2003.