Caribbean Chicken Recipe
By Marie Powell
Type: Healthy, Low Fat
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 2-hour marination)
Cook time: 15 minutes
This marinade – which has a little bit of heat blended with just the right amount of sweet, savory, and aromatic spices – is absolutely fabulous for summer meals. Just the thought of this Carribean dish evokes images of tropical beaches, cool ocean breezes, and icy rum-infused cocktails (we’ll save those for another recipe!). Since it isn’t weighed down by heavy ingredients, this island indulgence is guilt-free and easy to prepare.
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
For the Marinade:
- 4 medium green onions, sliced
- 1-2 jalapeno chilis, seeded and chopped (for additional heat, leave seeds in)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey, warmed slightly to soften
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Place chicken in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag.
- Pour marinade over chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Prep your grill or heavy flat-bottom skillet to medium-high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill or skillet. (Use a non-stick skillet or add olive oil to skillet prior to cooking chicken.)
- Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes per side or until internal temperature has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Baste with marinade during cooking, but discard any remaining marinade before serving.