Braised Beef Tacos Recipe
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb. boneless beef chuck, well trimmed, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle chile pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken in half
- 12 corn tortillas (6-in.)
- Mexican crema, crème fraîche or sour cream
- Mexican queso fresco, queso añejo (Cotija) or feta cheese, crumbled
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Toasted slivered almonds
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the beef; brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef. Remove beef; set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in same pot on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add water; stir to loosen browned bits in bottom of pan. Add beef, beef broth, tomato paste, and seasonings; mix well. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chocolate. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
Brush both sides of tortillas lightly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook each tortilla in nonstick skillet on medium heat 1 minute per side or until tortilla is slightly crisp but still pliable. Drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture into center of each tortilla. Top with desired garnishes. Fold and serve.
Adapted from The Nibble