Apple Bacon Bake with Cheese
By Marie Powell
Since our weekend activities in the fall often involve hosting friends for football games, hiking, or festival activities, I love to serve easy inexpensive brunch items that are adaptable and tasty. This cheesy apple bacon brunch is a great choice because it’s easy to prepare, travels well in a simple casserole dish, has lots of flavor, and can be served as a warm breakfast option or fun tailgate food along with your favorite beer or cocktail.
For my heat-loving crowd, I always have a bottle of hot sauce on hand, but if you’re a fan of the salty-sweet combo, you can also top this apple bacon bake off with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Yields: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb. bacon
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (approximately 8 oz.)
- 11⁄2 cups baking mix, like Bisquick
- 11⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a square 8-inch baking dish.
- Mix apples, sugar, and cinnamon; spread in dish.
- Cut bacon into fourths. Stir over medium heat, cooking until crisp; drain.
- Sprinkle the cheese and bacon over the apple mixture in baking dish.
- Beat remaining ingredients with hand mixer until smooth, then pour into baking dish.
- Bake uncovered until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with hot sauce or maple syrup.