It's Vegetarian Day
October 1st is Vegetarian Day and a hearty vegetarian chili that is sure to satisfy. Perfect for the fall weather, this is an easy crockpot creation that you can cook ahead and is healthy and delicious.
- (1) 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- (1) 15-oz. can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
- (1) 15-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans or regular lima beans
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- (1) 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. minced pickled jalapeno (from can or jar)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano or regular oregano
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients but the couscous, shredded cheese, cilantro and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
5-10 minutes before serving (depending on temperature of slow cooker) add couscous, cover and cook, until couscous is tender. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Immediately before serving, top each serving with shredded cheese and cilantro.
Adapted from Food Network